Monday, February 15, 2010

The Bielski Brothers - Peter Duffy

As I am rarely satisfied with one perspective on a topic, I read a second history of the Bielski brothers - this one by a non-Jewish American.

This book was an easier read than the Nechama Tec history, in that it was more chronological.  I was impressed at the level of research that Peter Duffy performed to write the book - it captures a little more detail in some areas than Tec's book.

The conclusions are more pointed - by the time the war ended, there were very few Jews joining up with Bielski's unit, simply because they were all gone, destroyed.  It is indeed a sad chapter in human history.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Uncle Dale! Okay, I finally got around to reading these book reviews and they sound fantastic! I put them both on my reading list, but if I had time only for one right now, which would you say I should read?

You said that the descendants of the Jews who were saved now number in the tens of thousands. Something that I find empowering is the legacy that just a small group of people or even an individual can leave when they make a stand against evil. Like Abinadi, and like Alma. How many generations of people did they influence? How many future prophets were descendants of Alma, and were therefore products of the small seed of truth that Abinadi planted?

Rex Vallis said...

A very thoughtful comment Kimberly - I agree.

This is the essence of the part in the second of the ten commandments where the sins of the parents are visited upon the heads of their children unto the third and fourth generation. This is simply a statement of natural law - consequences cannot be avoided.

By the same analysis you can look at the positive side - the good choices of one person visit themselves on their children unto the third and fourth (and sometimes further) generation.

I don't remember enabling moderation on my blog - sorry it took me a while to publish your comment.