Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Journey of Crazy Horse

Wow - I just read an amazing book. The most amazing thing about it is that it is written in the oral tradition. It's about the famous Lakota warrior Crazy Horse. The author is Joseph M. Marshall III, a Lakota himself, who has helped to preserve the culture of a proud and amazing people.

I have read numerous books that have helped me open my mind to the historical realities of a given situation - now I get to add this one to the list.

Interestingly enough, the Lakota recently took the old treaties from over a century ago to Washington DC and basically told representatives there that they were withdrawing from the terms of the treaty...thereby essentially saying that they and their lands were no longer part of the United States. I don't think the case is resolved yet...

I used the example of Crazy Horse in my class at the TJEd forum this weekend - I feel like his life represents the life of a complete man, and most of what he represented should be emulated by anybody striving to be a good, honorable, complete man.

This book is WAY more interesting than most histories you will read - it feels like you're sitting by the fire listening to the tribal elder say "Hiyu wo, takoja, wica wawoptetusni wan tawoecun ociciyakin ktelo – Come, grandson, I want to tell you of the deeds of a hero."

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Dale! How was your conference? Wish I could have come to hear you speak...

Rex Vallis said...

It was an amazing conference - I hope folks got as much out of my discussion as I got out of the presentations I went to. We've got to get you guys plugged into TJEd - your Mom would dig it. It's been amazing the past few years.

Kimberly said...

Yes, I'm sure she would like it. And I have no doubts that your presentation was great! When/when will you be delivering it again?

Rex Vallis said...

My discussion can be purchased for $4 from TJEdMarketplace at the following address:

http://www.tjedmarketplace.com/store/tjed-forum-2009/heart-man