Monday, December 8, 2008

Freedom, Politics, Apathy, and Kingship

OK. I need to blog about this issue - it relates to why our freedoms continue to be eroded and why common people get so apathetic about politics.

First, I need to state that I don't like to be pigeon-holed into a certain category or party. It's just not that black and white. However, when I analyze my personal value system, I find that a greater number of my values align with one party platform than with the other. And since our system truly gives a political voice only to those two parties, I have tried my best to be involved in the process. I am the precinct chair in my neighborhood.

As precinct chair, I am automatically part of the Central Committee for that party in the local county. We hold quarterly meetings, always on Saturday. I don't have a problem committing my time to this end, if I believe it will make a difference.

However, my time doesn't appear to make a big difference. At least not yet. There is a leadership structure in place that always attempts to consolidate support and reduce dissension. This is antithetical to freedom. In the political process, our voices must be heard if we expect to live free.

I intend to continue to attend these meetings, and try to make a difference. But here are a few things of note to those who care:
  • I don't like to be manipulated
  • I don't like back-patting sessions - they are a waste of time
  • I believe that the marketplace of ideas is amazingly beautiful, even though it is messy
  • Poor leaders who lack self-confidence try to eliminate opposing ideas
  • Great leaders love the powerful insights that come from opposing viewpoints
  • Saying one thing and doing the opposite makes you a liar
  • When liars, poor leaders, manipulators, and back-patters find ways to stay in power, people become apathetic

Neither party embodies the value systems of the American populace. A great disenfranchisement is taking place. We are experiencing the seeds of a revolution in this country. While there is much apathy, more and more people that I visit with are educating themselves, preparing themselves for something that they feel is coming. John Adams once said:

The Revolution was effected before the War commenced. The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments of their duties and obligations. This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people, was the real American Revolution.

I am continually praying that this new revolution will not result in bloodshed, like so many revolutions of the past, and that it will result in greater freedom rather than greater bondage. I feel very optimistic that better days are ahead of us. I don't think that it is productive to sit back and wring our hands and worry away each day. To borrow a phrase that I've heard a lot in the past few years:

A true statesman is someone who sees the world as it is and how it ought to be, and inserts himself in the middle to make the change.

I hope you join in my sentiment that each one of us is a King or Queen in a great Renaissance of Kings, not in the sense of the Monarchs in your history books, but each man and woman realizing that they are Divine, and a rightful leader in their homes, neighborhoods, communities, states, and countries. I envision a day in the not-so-distant future when more of us live by the true principles of kingship, and live our best life, reaching out to those around us to teach, improve, understand, succor, and sustain. Can you join me?

2 comments:

A said...

I often wonder that if it is, in fact, possible for the american people to change their apathetic sentiments into beliefs and ideas worthy of a revolution, and if such a revolution would be possible without some kind of brute force or weaponry.
I'm really just lacking in faith, I suppose.

Do you, personally, believe that the two-party dominance can be changed?

Rex Vallis said...

A two party system has existed since the very beginning of our representative republic. It has changed in form somewhat - I really don't see it as a two-party system at present, just one party. Or maybe better described as two slightly differing movements that answer to a bigger controlling interest. See Oliver DeMille's article: http://newsletter.gw.edu/a/FeaturedArticle