Thursday, October 2, 2008

Redeeming Authentic Manhood

I have just read a life-changing book that has contributed significantly to my perspective on true manhood: Healing the Masculine Soul by Gordon Dalbey.

Two years ago I read Wild at Heart by John Eldredge and noticed that Eldredge referenced this book as his inspiration, so I knew that I would need to read it eventually. I was not disappointed.

I have also read other works along the same vein - Boyhood and Beyond, Raising a Modern-Day Knight, Bringing Up Boys, etc. The general tenor is the same - men suffer from a wound that dates back to boyhood and need to overcome significant external and internal pressures to redeem true manhood.

I loved this book and highly recommend it to anybody.

I will throw out the disclaimer that it is written from a very mainstream Christian perspective. I am a Latter-day Saint Christian, and I know many fellow LDS folks who won't see past Dalbey's doctrinal perspectives - the same is true for Eldredge. But if that is your position, then you have missed the point of their works, and you will miss the tremendous benefit of their discussion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hm... as the keeper of five (plus two) sons (plus daughters who need a healthy perspective on the difficult matter of roles), you have very definitely piqued my curiosity. I believe this world is confused on (even often threatened by) gender roles. There is a delicate balance that goes into the coexistence of a strong and intelligent woman and a man who has the strength to truly lead.

Anonymous said...

(Speaking of men -- and great men, at that -- I actually came here today to turn you on to this blog: http://stayinupallnight.blogspot.com/ I may be overstepping here (does one need permission to link a blog?), but as a fellow blogger, I think you'll appreciate it. A "jolly good" read!)